What information do we collect about you?
We collect your email address, mobile number and nickname, in order to register you to use our Services. If you choose, you can provide more information (e.g., gender, photographs, occupation) in your profile.
How will we use the information about you?
We use your information for account verification, password retrieval and to personalize your account
Who do we share your information with?
You can use our OpenID functionality to use your BlocMe account to access certain shared services. We also share your information with our related group companies and as required by law.
Where do we process your information?
We engage Digital Ocean’s infrastructure for our data storage. Our support, engineering and other teams are located in Canada and Nigeria.
How long do we keep hold of your information?
We retain your information until you have not used your account for 12 months, at which point we delete it. We will also delete your information earlier at your request. We will retain data where we are required to in accordance with our legal obligations.
How can I exercise my rights over my information?
You may have rights to access, receive copy of, or delete, your data or restrict or object to our processing of, your data.
If you have any concerns or complaints, please contact us on email@example.com
How will we notify you of changes?
Data Controller: Blocme, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
When you contract to use the BlocMe application (the “Services”), you accept our rules and policies regarding your personal information and you expressly consent to us collecting, processing and using and storing your personal information, as described in this policy.
BlocMe company is a company registered in Canada and Nigeria with its office located at Ottawa, Canada. We can be contacted at email@example.com.
The Types of Personal Information We Use
This section describes the different types of personal information we collect and how we collect it. We will collect and use the following information about you:
- Information you give us. You may give us information about you, or about your contacts, by using our Services or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register for our Services, such as your nickname and mobile number, that helps us register you to use our Services.
- Information we collect about you. We automatically collect certain data from you when you use our Services, including IP address, and information regarding your use of our Services such as date and time stamps, and communications with other users. We also collect and store your data each time you interact with BlocMe, for example, when you communicate with us by telephone, email or in-app support
- Information you generate and display in the course of using the Services. You may provide additional information as part of your profile (such as gender or profession).
You may also provide or generate information when you communicate with other users on the Services (e.g., chat log data, location information, chat content).
You have the option to permit installation of such Cookies or subsequently disable them. You may accept all cookies, or instruct the web browser to provide notice at the time of installation of cookies, or refuse to accept all cookies by adjusting the relevant function in the web browser of your computer. However, in the event of your refusal to install cookies, BlocMe may be prevented from providing some of its Services available to you.
Our Service is not intended for children. Children must not use the Service for any purpose. We will not knowingly allow anyone under 13 to provide any personally identifying information.
If you are located in the European Economic Area and are below the age of 13, we need your parent or guardian’s consent to use BlocMe. You will be able to access BlocMe once we have verified your parental/guardian consent form, which is available when you sign up for BlocMe.
How We Use Your Personal Information
Legal Basis for Processing (EU)
Mobile Number, Password, Nickname
We use this information to:
· create a BlocMe account in accordance with your request; and
· retrieve passwords for users when requested.
This data is necessary for us to perform our contract with you to set up your account and provide the Services.
We will use the information in the following ways and in accordance with the following legal bases:
Parental/Guardian Consent Data (Name, Date of Birth)
We use this information to verify consent from a parent or guardian of a user under the age of 16.
This data is necessary for us to comply with our legal obligations.
We use this information:
· for security and verification purposes; and
· to combat users registering for multiple accounts.
It is in our legitimate interest to detect multiple registrations in bad faith and to take appropriate actions including the deletion of accounts.
Generated BlocMe Number and QR Code linked to the account
We use this information to create a BlocMe account in accordance with your request.
This data is necessary for us to perform our contract with you to set up your account and provide the Services.
We use this information to:
· to create a BlocMe account in accordance with your request; and
· link your BlocMe account to other services, if you request that we link your BlocMe account to such services
This data is necessary for us to perform our contract with you to set up your account and provide the Services and where you request, to
How We Store and Share Your Personal Information
In order to perform our contract with you, your personal information will be accessible from and will be processed on our servers. We are committed to maintaining the privacy and integrity of your personal information no matter where it is stored. Our group companies have information security and access policies that limit access to our systems and technology. We also protect data through the use of technological protection measures such as encryption.
We share your personal information with selected third parties in and outside your country, including:
- third parties where you have requested that we share your data to allow you to use third party services;
- related group companies with whom we share all of your personal information to operate the Services. The transfers contemplated above are made pursuant to our contract with you;
- service providers who provide services on our behalf to support our Services. These services may include: fulfilling orders, payment processing, providing customer service, sending marketing communications, fulfilling subscription services, conducting research and analysis, and providing cloud computing infrastructure. These companies are
authorized to retain, use, and disclose your personal information only as necessary to provide these services to us.
- law enforcement agencies, public authorities or other judicial bodies and organizations. We disclose information if we are legally required to do so, or if we have a good faith belief that such use is reasonably necessary to:
- comply with a legal obligation, process or request;
- enforce our terms of service and other agreements, policies, and standards, including investigation of any potential violation thereof;
- detect, prevent or otherwise address security, fraud or technical issues; or
- protect the rights, property or safety of us, our users, a third party or the public as required or permitted by law (including exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection); and
- a third party that acquires all or substantially all of us or our business. We will disclose information to a third party in the event that we sell or buy any business or undergo a merger, in which case we will disclose your data to the prospective buyer of such business. We will also disclose information to a third party if we sell, buy, merge or partner with other companies or businesses, or sell some or all of our assets. In such transactions, user information may be among the transferred
We will retain your personal information as described below (except if otherwise required to be retained by applicable law).
When destroying personal information, measures will be taken to make the personal information irrecoverable or irreproducible:
- electronic files which contain personal information will be deleted permanently using a technical method which makes the files irreproducible; and
- any other records, print-outs, documents or any other recording media will be shredded or incinerated.
In the event that the processing and retention period have terminated, but personal information is required to be retained continuously for other reasons including for the purposes as prescribed under applicable laws, the relevant personal information will be stored and maintained separately from other types of personal information.
The following applies to users that are located in the European Economic Area only.
You have certain rights in relation to the personal information we hold about you. Some of these only apply in certain circumstances as set out in more detail below. We also set out how to exercise those rights. To exercise any of your rights, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org
Access & Correction
You have the right to know whether we process personal information about you, and if we do, to access personal information we hold about you and certain information about how we use it and who we share it with. You also have the right to correct information which is incorrect.
Your right of access can be exercised by accessing your account profile. If you believe there is any other information we hold about you, or which needs to be correct, please contact
You have the right to receive a subset of certain personal information we collect from you in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and a right to request that we transfer such personal information to another party. The relevant subset of personal information is information you provided to us with your consent, or for the purposes of us f performing our contract with you (e.g., Mobile Number, Nickname). Please contact
us email@example.com if you would like to obtain such information in accordance with your legal rights.
You can delete your profile information and other data by logging into your account. If you believe there is other data that we hold about you that you cannot access and erase, you can request that we erase such data in certain circumstances (for example, you believe that it is no longer necessary for us to hold such personal information; or you believe the personal information we hold about you is being unlawfully processed by us). You can exercise your right to restrict our processing of your personal information (as described below) whilst we consider your request. You can make such a request by contacting us firstname.lastname@example.org.
Restriction & Objection
You have a right to require us to stop processing the personal information we hold about you other than for storage purposes in certain circumstances. Please note, however, that if we stop processing the personal information, we may use it again if there are valid grounds under data protection laws for us to do so (e.g., for the defense of legal claims or for another’s protection).
You also have the right to object to our processing of personal information in certain circumstances by contacting us email@example.com.
We may from time to time send you service-related announcements when we consider it necessary to do so (such as when we temporarily suspend BlocMe Company for maintenance, or security, privacy or administrative-related communications). You may not opt-out of these service-related announcements, which are not promotional in nature
Contact & Complaints
In the event that you wish to make a complaint about how we process your personal information, please contact us in the first instance at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will endeavor to deal with your request as soon as possible. This is without prejudice to your right to launch a claim with the data protection authority in the EU country in which you live or work where you believe we have infringed data protection laws.
If we make any material changes to this policy, we will post the updated policy here and notify our users. Please check this page frequently to see any updates or changes to this policy.
Collection and Disclosure of Personal Information
Over the past 12 months, we have collected and disclosed the following categories of personal information from or about you or your device:
- Identifiers, such as our name as it appears on your mobile number, nickname, date of birth, name of parental guardian (for those triggering parental consent requirements), IP address, BlocMe number, QR code linked to the account, BlocMe contact list information, OpenID, device number (for Android devices). This information is collected directly from you and your
- Internet or other electronic network activity information, including log data, information about the servers through which you accessed BlocMe, and metadata about the use of and messages sent through BlocMe. This information is collected directly from you and your
- Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information, including your profile picture and photographs uploaded on BlocMe. This information is collected from
- Professional or employment-related information, including occupation. This information is collected directly from
- Geolocation data, including GPS data collected directly from your device for users who opt in to sharing their location data with their contacts and when they enable the “Look Around” function within
- Other personal information described in subdivision (e) of Section 1798.80, such as gender. This information is collected directly from
We collect your personal information for the following purposes:
- To operate and improve BlocMe;
- For security and verification purposes, including to prevent and detect fraudulent activity; and
- To address and remediate technical issues and
We disclose personal information to the following types of entities:
- Our affiliate companies within our corporate group who process your personal information in order to operate the Services
- Other companies that provide services on our behalf who are prohibited by contract from retaining, using, or disclosing personal information for any purpose other than for providing the services to us
- Other users of BlocMe with respect to personal information you post through BlocMe
- Regulators and judicial authorities and law enforcement agencies
- Entities that acquire all or substantially all of our business
In the past 12 months, we have not sold Personal Information of Canada or Nigeria residents
within the meaning of “sold” in the CCPA.
Rights under the CCPA
If you are a California resident and the CCPA does not recognize an exemption that applies to you or your personal information, you have the right to:
- Request we disclose to you free of charge the following information covering the 12 months preceding your request:
- the categories of personal information about you that we collected;
- the categories of sources from which the personal information was collected;
- the purpose for collecting personal information about you;
- the categories of third parties to whom we disclosed personal information about you and the categories of personal information that was disclosed (if applicable) and the purpose for disclosing the personal information about you; and
- the specific pieces of personal information we collected about you;
- Request we delete personal information we collected from you, unless CCPA recognizes an exemption; and
- Be free from unlawful discrimination for exercising your rights including providing a different level or quality of services or denying goods or services to you when you exercise your rights under the
We aim to fulfill all verified requests within 45 days pursuant to the CCPA. If necessary, extensions for an additional 45 days will be accompanied by an explanation for the delay.
How to Exercise Your Rights
First, you may wish to log into your account and manage your data from there. If you are a California resident to whom the CCPA applies, you may exercise your rights, if any, to other data by contacting us at email@example.com or completing this form.